What is the correct way to extinguish a candle?
Never extinguish a burning candle with water!! Wax and water simply do not mix. When you put water on a burning candle, it can make the flame grow larger. It’s like putting water on a grease fire in the kitchen;the fire can increase uncontrollably.
Using water to extinguish a candle may also cause a glass candle to break! Blowing out a candle can result in accidentally blowing hot wax on you or things nearby.
Always smother the flame! That’s why a snuffer – which robs the flame of the oxygen it needs to burn – is the recommended method for extinguishing any candle.